Considering Touring With An E-Bike?
Things to know before you go
What exactly is an E-bike?
We are pleased to offer E-bikes, or pedal-assist bikes, on our tours. We distinguish between E-Hybrids and E-Road bikes. As implied in the name, these are different bike types, and you can read about exact specifications on our bikes page. Here are a few things to keep in mind before deciding if an E-bike is right for you. E-bikes feature state of the art technology that provide a nice boost when your pedal stroke increases. In the simplest of terms, the more you’re pedaling, the more assistance the bike is providing (think uphill climbs!).
E-bikes provide greater access to bicycle touring for cyclists that are recovering from injuries (and have not fully regained previous fitness levels), less-experienced riders, and those desiring the opportunity to conquer more challenging tours.
Things to keep in mind when considering an E-Bike:
- Weighing in around 53 pounds for E-Hybrids and 35-41 for E-Roads, these bikes are much heavier than a regular bike. As a result, they can be difficult to load and store on our vans. Ideally, you ride the E-bike from start to finish each tour day.
- In general the average range of our battery packs is 85-100 km (53 miles) for E-Hybrids, and around 75-80 km (47 to 50 miles) for E-Road, if managed properly. The operating range depends on many factors such as the assistance level, gear switching behavior, route profile, head wind, and temperatures.
- The E-bike drive automatically switches off if speeds exceed 25 km per hour (15 mph).
- Though the bikes are very quiet the electric engine does produce a light but constant noise.
- Riding an E-bike is easy and we will offer you instructions at the bike fitting. It might take a day or so to reach maximum efficiency using the pedal assist. Before requesting an E-bike, please try riding one for a full day over a variety of terrain. Many bike shops have E-bikes available for rent. Because these bikes are heavier, they require both strength and balance particularly when mounting and dismounting and traveling at slow speeds. If you have trouble with stability, handling or balance, these bikes are not recommended for you.
- E-bike rentals are not included in tour prices. Refer to this page for current fees.
If an e-bike sounds like a good option for you, contact tours@ExperiencePlus.com for details and availability.