We also recommend Rome2Rio, which is an excellent route and travel planning resource.
The Ljubljana airport, the largest airport in Slovenia, is located 26 km from Ljubljana city center and is well connected by taxi, bus, and shuttle. There are frequent buses from the airport to the Ljubljana main train station. The main bus station and main train station are located next to one another.
(Click on the + below to expand the details.)
To and From the Airport
- By Taxi: Taxis are available outside the terminal. Cost of the trip from the airport to the city center is approximately EUR 45 and takes around 35 minutes.
- By Bus: Frequent buses provide a 30-45-minute transfer between the airport bus stop located outside of the arrivals area of the airport to the Ljubljana city center Air Terminal (actually just a bus shelter). Tickets can be purchased on the bus. See www.ap-ljubljana.si. There is also train transportation to Kranj, expect 15-minute travel time. Timetables can be checked at www.lju-airport.si.
- By Train: There is no train service directly from the airport but there are frequent buses running between the airport and the Ljubljana main train station. Check their website for time schedules: www.slo-zeleznice.si.
- By Shuttle: MNJ Transfer runs a private door-to-door shuttle. Check the website for times and prices.
Other Types of Transportation
- Bus: The main bus hub is located in Ljubljana. The network of bus stations and stops makes travelling by bus effective; it is possible to reach almost any part of the country within a couple of hours.
- Taxis: Taxis can easily be found outside airports and train stations. It is good practice to ask for an approximate fare before the ride and pay-meter start. Keep in mind that the cost may vary depending on traffic in the city. You can check the meter to see if the tip-”extra” is being included in the fare.
- Rental Car: If you decide to rent a car, we suggest arranging this from the U.S. – it’s cheaper. Be sure to find out the exact address of the location to pick up your rental car, (preferably at your arrival airport). It’s best to make these arrangements in advance. Cars are also available locally, check www.lju-airport.si
Slovenia Train Information
There are regular train connections within all major Slovene towns and one can find several trains a day departing for Munich, Vienna, Venice, Budapest and Zagreb.