Classic Tour Style
Let our chalk arrows lead the way as you explore a region by bike.
Our Classic tours are defined by nearly a half-century of expertise creating unforgettable cycling vacations. If your dream is to truly travel through a region by bike, then our Classic style bike tours are for you! Our unique chalk arrows lead the way as you explore small villages and world-class cities while traveling at your own pace. Our local tour leaders are with you along the way to support your ride and bring a deeper understanding to the area's history, traditions and culture.
What to Expect
Enjoy breakfast at your charming locally-owned hotel and then jump on your bike for a day of cycling. Ride at your own pace as the chalk arrows lead the way and van will support your ride as you enjoy stunning vistas, explore small villages and vibrant cities and work up an appetite for delicious meals.
- Our signature Chalk Arrows giving you the freedom to travel at your own pace. The arrows are an extension of your tour leaders - they point you to the best views, encourage you with cheers, smiles at the top of hills, and direct you to that special bakery.
- Stay in comfortable, locally-owned accommodations located in the center of town or in charming rural retreats.
- Multi-course meals highlighting the area's history, traditions, and seasonal specialties.
- Multiple tour levels offered for every kind of cyclist.
- Local experiences like vineyard visits; chocolate, cheese or wine tastings; private tours of historical sites, or demonstrations by local artists.
All ExperiencePlus! tours include the three most important pieces of a guided bike tour:
- Superb tour leaders who are fun and multilingual, bi-cultural experts, and cycling enthusiasts. They're experienced to help you navigate confidently on and off the road. You will have 2-3 tour leaders depending on the group size.
- High quality bikes that are appropriately selected for the terrain you are traveling through and are fit and prepared just for you.
- Thoughtfully designed itineraries and routes that maximize the cycling experience in each destination and takes advantage of the freedom of traveling by bike.
The following inclusions are specific to Classic Tours.
- Lodging: On Classic tours, you will enjoy a mix of lodging styles that showcase mom and pop hospitality with modern amenities. We look for locally-owned accommodations that give you a feel for regional history and culture. Location is key and you'll stay near interesting sites in the center of town or in picturesque rural settings.
- Meals: All breakfasts, a few lunches, and at least four dinners.
- Wine or beer with group dinners.
- Bikes: Choose a high-quality, lightweight titanium hybrid or road bike, or tandem. E-bikes are also available with a surcharge. Review the options on our bikes page.
- Navigation: ExperiencePlus! chalk arrows are your primary tool for navigating on Classic tours. GPS-tracks, though not necessary, are also provided for you to download to your own device (GPS-tracks are not available for South America tours). Daily route maps will also be available.
- Terrain: Routes on Classic tours are on paved roads and paths. You'll find specific information about the tour level, the daily terrain, mileage and elevation gain on each tour's itinerary page.
- Daily Mileage Options: For those folks who just can't get enough cycling, we'll suggest optional routes off our marked course. These may not be available every day but if you know you will want to add miles you can request more before your date and we will provide them on most days.
- Van Support: On tour you will have a support van providing water and snack resupply, mechanical assistance, a lift for tired cyclists, and luggage transfers.
- Local Experiences: Special events like wine tastings, cultural and artisanal visits as described in the trip itinerary.
- Tips and gratuities at tour hotels and group meals.
- Traveler Services: Assistance with transportation to and from the tour, including arranging extra nights at the tour starting and/or ending hotels.
- Complimentary gift.
What's not included:
- Transportation to and from the bicycling tour including airfare, or train travel
- Helmets - we ask that you bring your own to ensure the safest fit
- Meals not listed in the itinerary
- Tour leader gratuity