Categories: Travel Tips
Why Spring? The List is Long…by Julie Horton - Tuesday, December 4, 2018
And the time is near!
Spring is just around the corner and there is no reason to miss out on one of the best bicycle touring seasons in Europe. Along with the wonderful weather and lack of crowds spring bicycle tours are the perfect way to kick off cycling season. Not to mention there’s no better way to get back into cycling shape than while enjoying the Italian countryside as it bursts into color or soaking in some sunshine as you pedal along the Mediterranean coast.
Why Go on a spring bike tour? Try these 10 reasons for a start!
1. Booking a spring trip is the perfect psychological boost to keep you looking forward to the light at the end of a dark winter tunnel.
2. Spring fever! What better way to begin another year of outdoor adventure than with a much anticipated bicycle tour through colorful coasts and countrysides in some of Italy, Spain, Greece, or Portugal’s finest cycling weather.
3. Planning an early season ride in Europe is great incentive to hit the gym or get outside and ride on nice days during the winter.
4. It’s absolutely gorgeous – wild flowers abound, red poppies, wisteria, jasmine, fields of green… The landscapes of spring are spectacular.
5. The shroud of winter has finally lifted and smiles abound. Warm sunshine, longer days, fresh air, it’s impossible not to be in a good mood in the spring.
6. You get a jump on the cycling season. There is nothing like 10 days of riding in April or May to give you a great base of fitness for the rest of the summer.
7. Food! Wild strawberries, apricots, asparagus, arugula, greens, basil, salads, spring crops provide a bounty of fresh and delicious meals while you’re on tour.
8. Traveling in the spring means fewer crowds, lower costs, and did we mention great weather?
9. Spring smells good! I’ve done a few spring tours and often recall fond memories such as riding into each small town welcomed by the scent of jasmine and wisteria while cycling Venice to Pisa.
10. The opportunity to hit the road accompanied by birdsong! In Colorado we know that it is officially spring when the Meadowlark first begins to sing. There is nothing like riding a bike and seeing a bird with its chest puffed singing a passionate ode to spring.