ExperiencePlus! Bike and Boat Tours Set Sail 2019by Jessie Beyer - Tuesday, June 13, 2017
Bike and Boat With ExperiencePlus!
Two itineraries in 2019
Look forward to settling into your cozy cabin on the ship and not packing or unpacking your bags as you explore new roads on one of our bike and boat tours setting sail in 2019:
- Explore small villages and regal cities as you cycle through landscapes full of history and cruise along calm canals from Amsterdam to Bruges – or extend this itinerary on land and explore Plus! Belgium’s Breweries
- Cruise along the Seine River Valley, passing by splendid estates including the castle and grounds at Fontainebleau, and through small medieval towns on the way to Montargis as you Bike and Barge the Seine. Enjoy this scenic ride on easy canal paths, with frequent stops to sip café au lait in quaint French villages. Extend this tour to explore Castles of the Loire Valley.
We’ve designed two unique itineraries that take our travelers away from the tourist track, through small port towns and along scenic back roads. Cruise past the likes of famous cities with magical-sounding names including Amsterdam, Antwerp, Ghent, and Bruges or float quietly along the Seine River, slipping through locks and under bridges while enjoying the French joie de vivre.
This week-long bike and barge cruise takes you along the Seine River Valley, passing by splendid estates including the castle and grounds at Fontainebleau, and through small medieval towns on the way to Montargis. Enjoy this scenic ride on easy canal paths, with frequent stops to sip café au lait in quaint French villages. Our boat for the week floats quietly along the Seine River, slipping through locks and under bridges while sumptuous meals are prepared onboard. This tour is ideal for anyone who loves the French joie de vivre, and those who are new to cycling and want to try bicycle traveling without having to pack and unpack their bags. Our Plus! tour is land based and gives those who want to keep exploring the chance to spend another few days pedaling between important chateaux including Blois, Chambord, Amboise and Chenonceau.
Seine Plus! Castles of the Loire Highlights:
- Castle of Fontainebleau
- Artists’ villages – towns that inspired 19th and 20th century Impressionist painters
- Medieval fortified towns and castles
- Prehistorical museum of Nemours
- Honey making farm and “living museum”
- Château de Chambord
- cCnoe to the famous castle of Chenonceau
- Private castle visit
On this bike and barge tour you will discover the southern region of Zeeland in the Netherlands, finally dipping into the West Flanders region of Belgium if you extend on the land-only “plus” portion. By day you’ll bicycle through regions known for their phenomenal sightseeing and cycling terrain. Your barge will cruise to new destinations as you experience and see first hand how the canal systems in this part of the world operate. On land you’ll cycle to iconic places including Gouda and the famous windmills of Kinderdijk, and on the river you’ll gain a perspective of stunning architecture as you enjoy a canal float.
Amsterdam to Bruges Highlights:
- Venice of the North (Amsterdam)
- Forts of Muiderslot and Weesp
- Gouda cheese museum and tasting
- UNESCO World Heritage Kinderdijk windmills
- Do-it-yourself-moving-bridge. You’ll have to see it to believe it.
- Roosevelt Heritage Museum
- “Onze Lieve Vrouwe (Our Lady) Cathedral” home to several of Rubens’ paintings
- Schelde riverbank bike path
- Cycling beside stately villas and along quiet canals
- Ghent’s rich historic center
- UNESCO World Heritage Site Medieval City Center
- Westvleteren – one of six authentic Trappist beers in Belgium (made by Trappist monks, a branch of Cistercian monks)
- Chocolate tastings – or all the chocolate you can eat.
Great news Croatia Bike and Boat is coming back in 2020!